There are seven types of logos for you to choose from when designing a catchy logo of your own. No matter what you do, it will fall into one of those categories.
Which one do you choose and how do you execute it?
It isn’t an easy decision to make or to follow through on. We’re going to go through a step-by-step to explain what you should absolutely do. Don’t worry, we’ve also got you covered on what you should avoid.
Keep reading to find out how to make catchy logos, choose catchy fonts for the logo, and even catch colors for logo design.
Catchy Logo: Dos and Don’ts
First of all, what is a catchy logo? Catchy logos are logos that you see and you just can’t forget about, no matter how much time passes. No doubt, you can think of a few like the Nike swoosh, Apple, Google, Cocacola, and more.
To make catchy logos for fashion or business, you certainly don’t need to pay tons of money for a whole suite of products. Adobe is famous for having high-grade industrial-level products. They also have a free online logo maker download that you can use.
Before you start making that logo, there’re a few steps you need to do first.
- Define yourself
- Understand your needs for a catchy logo
- Check out your competitors
- Choose the type of logo that works best for your business
- Choose the right typography
- Choose the right color scheme
As you can see a lot of the actual work of making the logo isn’t really discussed. That’s what the logo maker is for, after all.
Defining yourself is at the top because, after all, if you don’t know who you are you can’t even figure out who your competition is. If you can’t figure out your competition, you can’t figure out your target market.
If you can’t figure out your target market you can’t figure out what type of the seven logo categories appeals to them the most. If you can’t do that, you don’t even know if you should have typography or not.
As far as color, if you don’t know who you are, you can’t choose the right color to transmit your qualities as a business and what you’re hoping to provide.
Don’t Do This
What happens if you don’t do things in the right order, or skip steps entirely? Here’s a list of things you shouldn’t do if you want to have a catchy logo or even one that works at all.
- Go into your logo design blindly
- Use more than three design elements (unless you really get what you’re doing)
- Use colors because they’re your favorite ones
- Use decorative typography and fonts that come standard with Windows
- Copy your competition
- Pick design elements based on your philosophical or esoteric beliefs (unless that is the business)
- Give in to trends and clichés
- Use a low-quality image (with pixelization)
- Make it too generic and industry-specific (a dentist with a tooth logo)
Honestly, there are hundreds of these but these tend to be the most common issues. As long as you don’t do these top mistakes you won’t fall flat.
Explained: Making a Catchy Logo You Love
Making a catchy logo is no easy task, but it doesn’t have to be impossible. Anything worth doing takes effort and the same goes for the logo. Using the right software, though, can make it much easier than any time in the past.
Need to get more help figuring out how to research yourself and your industry? Keep browsing for the latest advice and tips for your business.